Billboard #1 Hits: #168: ” You Can’t Hurry Love”- The Supremes. September 10, 1966. #1 for 2 weeks.
- Single: “You Can’t Hurry Love”- The Supremes
- Record Company- Motown
- Genre: Soul
- Written by Holland-Dozier-Holland
- Time- 2:47
- B-side: “Put Yourself In My Place”
- Album- The Supremes A Go-Go
- Grade: A
- Peaked at #1 for 2 weeks on Billboard Hot 100. #3 on UK Singles Chart.
“You Can’t Hurry Love” was inspired by and partially based on a 1950’s gospel song “You Can’t Hurry God.” written by Dorothy Love Coates. The Supremes had two songs ready to go- “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”- and the quality control department had to choose which went first- both would make it to #1 in 1966- but “You Can’t Hurry Love” was released first. It would become the 7th #1 hit for The Supremes and go on to be one of The Supremes signature songs. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would name the song among its 500 Songs Which Shaped Rock and Roll.