- NIRVANA: UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK: 1994: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Nevermind is of course their greatest album- but this album is the Nirvana album I have listened to the most.
- BIG STAR: #1 RECORD: 1972: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Alex Chilton and Chris Bell were the John and Paul of this fabulous but criminally overlooked band. They should have been one of the big groups of the 70’s but what they had in quality they didn’t have in commercial success- bad luck, bad timing- you name it. The debut is terrific. Power pop at its best- favorites? Hard to narrow it down but the best known song by the band might be In The Streets which popped up decades later as the theme song for That 70’s Show- also Thirteen, Feel, The Ballad of El Goodo, Don’t Lie To Me- etc… one of the best albums of the 1970’s.
- BIG STAR:RADIO CITY: 1974: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: More pop pop greatness- the Dean of Rock Journalist Robert Christgau called it ‘brilliant, addictive.” Chris Bell had left the group at this point. September Gurls would later be covered by The Bangles, Back Of A Car, O My Soul are standouts. Again they had little commercial success with this one either.
- BIG STAR: THIRD/SISTER LOVERS: 1978: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Another critically acclaimed album that was a commercial flop. This one takes a little more listening to click- whereas the first two felt like you’d been listening to them all your life on first listen. Weird but brilliant. Big Star’s members in life would be fated to the bad luck they had as a band- Chris Bell killed in a car crash at 27, Alex Chilton and bassist Andy Hummel both passed at 59. Only Jody Stephens is alive today-65… to quote Paul Westerberg’s “Alex Chilton”– “I never travel far- without a little Big Star.”
- THE BEATLES: A HARD DAY’S NIGHT: 1964: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The most underrated Beatles record. The album along with the movie =fun.
- THE CLASH: LONDON CALLING: 1979: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: It is closing on forty years since London Calling was released- there hasn’t been an album released since that tops it.