Billboard Top 40 Hits 1971: #200: ‘Where Did Our Love Go’- Donnie Elbert. October 16, 1971. Peaked at #15 in Billboard Hot 100.
- Single: ‘Where Did Our Love Go’- Donnie Elbert
- Record Company- All Platinum
- Genre: Soul
- Written by Dozier, Holland, Dozier
- Time: 3:08
- B side: ‘That’s If You Love Me’
- Album- Where Did Our Love Go’
- Grade: B-
- Peaked at #15 13 weeks in Billboard Hot 100.
Donnie Elbert- was born in 1936- in New Orleans- raised in Buffalo. Elbert was an R&B singer-songwriter. He had 5 Hot 100 hits and 2 which cracked the Top 40- this was his biggest hit- a remake of The Supremes #1 hit. Elbert died in 1989 at the age of 52.
There’s a helluva voice- the backing is a bit muted, and I’m not often a fan of remakes, but this voice grabs you. I might have to see/hear more of him.
When I saw this was a remake of a very familiar song- my first thought was why? but when I listened to it- had to like it. I’d never heard it until now.
My intro to this cut was J Geils. They did a great job.