1971 Pirates- Sunday April 25, 1971. 1:35pm- At Three Rivers Stadium. Nellie Briles 1-1 pitching for the Pirates against future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal 3-0 for the Giants.
- After being shutout Friday night by rookie Steve Stone- and Saturday by Ron Bryant- things didn’t look to get better for the slumping Pirates on Sunday afternoon when they had to face one of the best pitchers of the era- Juan Marichal- who was off to a 3-0 start in the season for the Giants as the Giants looked for a three game sweep in the series.
- But a 3 run 3rd inning highlighted by Al Oliver’s 2 run double put the Pirates ahead to stay as they knocked Marichal out after 5 innings and went on to a 6-2 victory salvaging the final game of the weekend series- against the Giants who would be their opponent in the NL Championship Series in October.
- Nellie Briles a spot starter for the Pirates during the season got the start and while he gave up 11 hits in 8.2 innings only gave up one extra base hit- a solo home run by Willie McCovey- McCovey’s 2nd of the season. Briles struck out 6 walked 2 and gave up 2 runs-one of them earned. Dave Giusti came in to get the last out and got his 3rd save of the season. The Giants left 13 men on base. Briles pitched through the rain drops and picked up his second win of the season.
- The Pirates hitting heroes today-Vic Davilillo a super-sub who had filled in the past few days for a sick Willie Stargell moved to first base today and had 3 hits and 3 RBI’s, Al Oliver went 2-4- again his double was a big hit driving in two runs. Dave Cash who had replaced Bill Mazeroski a couple weeks ago as the starting second baseman- went 3-4 lifting his batting average to .339. Willie Stargell was back in the line up after missing three games due to a virus and went 1-4. Stargell needs one more home run to break the all time record for most home runs ever in the month of April. At the moment he has 10 which ties him with Tony Perez and Frank Robinson.
- The great Willie Mays was not in the starting line -up today for the Giants- he pinch-hit later in the game and went 0-1. Roberto Clemente is having a rather quiet for him- April- he went 1-4 for the Pirates today and has a .277 batting average at the moment.
- Attendance 16,553 Time of Game 2:51. The Pirates are now 10-8 on the season in third place 1 1/2 games out of first place. The Los Angeles Dodgers come in for 3 game mid-week series starting Tuesday night.