Billboard #1 Hits: #531: ‘Come On Eileen’- Dexys Midnight Runners. April 23, 1983. #1 for 1 week in Billboard Hot 100.
- Single: ‘Come On Eileen’- Dexys Midnight Runners
- Record Company- Mercury
- Genre: Pop, Rock, Celtic Folk
- Written by Kevin Rowland, Jim Paterson and Billy Adams
- Time: 4:12
- B-side:’ Let’s Make This Precious’
- Grade: A+
- Peaked at #1 1 week in Billboard Hot 100. #1 in UK Singles Chart, #1 in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and Switzerland.
I remember when I first heard this single- it sounded pretty foreign to Top 40 radio at the time- but in a great way. As far as the song goes- while many thought Kevin Rowland was writing about his real experiences- he wasn’t- there was no Eileen-she was a composite-to make a point about Catholic repression.
“Come On Eileen’- followed ‘Billie Jean” at #1 and was followed by another big #1 hit from Michael Jackson’ Beat It.’
Dexys Midnight Runners would qualify as a one -hit wonder in the United States- this single from their second album was their only hit in the states. The band is still active- their most recent album was released in 2016.