Billboard #1 Hits: #461: “What A Fool Believes”- The Doobie Brothers. April 14, 1979. #1 for 1 week in Billboard Hot 100.
- Single: “What A Fool Believes”- The Doobie Brothers
- Record Company-Warner Brothers
- Genre: Rock
- Written by Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins
- Time: 3:41
- B-side:”Don’t Stop To Watch The Wheels”
- Album- Minute By Minute
- Grade: A+
- Peaked at #1 1 week in the Billboard Hot 100. #31 in UK Singles Chart. #1 in Canada.
My favorite song of The Doobie Brothers. It’s not like with The Eagles -when one of their songs come on the radio I don’t change the channel but I could take or leave them. The only Doobie Brothers album I’ve ever bought was Minute By Minute with this single on it. This is one of the few non-disco hits in the first half of 1979 to go to #1. “What A Fool Believes” was the second #1 for The Doobie Brothers- “Black Water” was the other. Minute By Minute their only #1 album. This was their high water mark in popularity. Their follow up album- which I didn’t buy buy borrowed from a friend- was pretty bad and their days of making hits were over- oh they did have the dreadful “The Doctor” #9 in 1989- laughingly bad.