Hans Remembers- Monday October 19, 1970- 50 Years Ago
- Elvis in the 70’s- Working from a design that he and his wife Priscilla had sketched out- Elvis orders a dozen 14 -karat gold pendants from a Beverly Hills jeweler featuring the letters “TCB”- set around a lightning bolt. They were designed to be totems for the Memphis Mafia -The King’s regicidal friends}- TCB stands for “Taking Care Of Business in a flash.” The King had too much time on his hands.
- Typhoon Kate swept across the Philippine island of Mindanao killing 130 people in a day. The total victims of Kate in the Philippines, Indonesia and North and South Vietnam would hit 631.
- POTUS Richard Milhous Nixon made his second unannounced meeting with college students- at the campus of Ohio State University shaking hands with students who happened to be there- and talking with them for a half hour. With minimal Secret Service protection, The Tricky One then stood on the trunk of the limo, waving and began shaking hands before leaving again.
- The 44th President of Mexico- Lazaro Cardenas- who served as president from 1934-1940 died at the age of 75.
- Bob Dylan released his 11th studio album- which was hailed as a comeback following his poorly received album from earlier in the year- Self Portrait. The album would go to #1 in the UK album charts and #7 in the U.S.