Billboard #1 Hits: #196: “Judy In Disguise [With Glasses}- John Fred & His Playboy Band. January 20, 1968. #1 for 2 weeks. This is the first new #1 hit of 1968- The Beatles “Hello, Goodbye” which hit #1 in the last week of 1967- held over into the first two weeks of 1968. There would be only 15 #1 hits in 1968- due to seven #1 hits which would stay on top for 4 weeks or more.
- Single: “Judy In Disguise [ With Glasses}- John Fred & His Playboy Band
- Record Company-Paula Records
- Genre: Pop Rock
- Written by- John Fred Gourrier and Andrew Bernard
- Time: 2:55
- B-side:”Out Of Left Field”
- Album- Agnes English
- Grade: D
- Peaked at #1 for 2 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100. #3 on UK Singles Chart. #1 in Australia, West Germany, South Africa, Switzerland.
“Judy In Disguise [With Glasses} by John Fred & His Playboy Band is a true one hit wonder. The band from Louisiana had only two other Hot 100 entries- way back in 1958 with #82 “Shirley” and the follow up to “Judy In Disguise”-#57 “Hey, Hey Bunny.” I have to give them credit for staying together all those years without much success. “Judy In Disguise” is a play on The Beatles song from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band- “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.” I’ve always thought of it as a novelty kind of song. Junk. A contender for worst #1 hit of 1968.