- DOLLY PARTON: THE ESSENTIAL DOLLY PARTON: 2005 : COUNTRY: POP; Grade: A: Apple. This is a good overview of Dolly’s career- 2 discs- the first one her pre-pop era country material is the superior disc. The other discs I listened to of hers 4 of the 5 are from the late 60’s-early 70’s her period of greatness. She is overlooked as a songwriter- especially of great autobiographical country songs and of course when you hear Dolly sing you know it’s Dolly. The return to country in 1999 with The Grass Is Blue-was a return to her earlier form. I am not really all that interested in her pop material. The earlier albums are very good with her best songs- which I would say are Jolene, Joshua, I Will Always Love You, Coat Of Many Colors, Love Is Like A Butterfly, The Bargain Store, My Tennessee Mountain Home and My Blue Ridge Mountain Boy. I have now studied a dozen of the 40 country artists I set out to listen to three weeks ago- tomorrow on to Brother Ray Charles.
- DOLLY PARTON: MY BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN BOY: 1969: COUNTRY: GRADE: A-. APPLE.
- DOLLY PARTON: COAT OF MAN COLORS: 1971:COUNTRY: GRADE: A+ APPLE.
- DOLLY PARTON: MY TENNESSEE MOUNTAIN HOME: 1973:COUNTRY: GRADE: A-: APPLE.
- DOLLY PARTON: JOLENE: 1974:COUNTRY: GRADE: A+ APPLE.
- DOLLY PARTON: THE GRASS IS BLUE: 1999: BLUEGRASS: GRADE: A. IPOD.