Hans Remembers- News Headlines from Friday October 3, 1969- Sunday October 5, 1969.
- Born on this date American singer- Gwen Stefani- first famous as co-founder of No Doubt back in the mid-80’s-their first hit was Just A Girl in 1995- she went on to a successful solo career- was married for a few years to Gavin Rossdale of Bush- and is now the partner of country singer Blake Shelton. She has won three Grammy Awards in her career.
- Dead at the age of 67 in Philadelphia- blues singer Skip James. James was known for his dark subject matter- James had recorded briefly in the 1930’s then went silent for 30 years and he was a virtual unknown until he was rediscovered during the 1960’s folk revival. He would come back and recorded a handful of albums late in his life. He was known as being moody and aloof. Musicologist Dick Spottswood said of James ” Skip James, you never knew. Skip could be sunshine, or thunder and lightning depending on his whim of the moment” Cream covered James “I’m So Glad” which provided him with much needed royalties later in life.
Saturday October 4, 1969
- Baseball playoffs began- up until now in baseball history the winner of the American League took on the winner of the National League in the World Series- there was no playoffs as we know them today- that changed in 1969 when both leagues expanded from 10 to 12 teams and were divided into two divisions- an east and west. In the American League playoffs the Baltimore Orioles on this day defeated the Minnesota Twins 4-3 in Game One of the American League playoffs- and in the National League the miracle New York Mets beat the Atlanta Braves 9-5 in their game 1 of a best of 5 series.
- Diane Linkletter daughter of TV show host Art Linkletter either fell or jumped from a 6th floor window of her apartment at the Shoreham Towers in West Hollywood. Linkletter believed his daughters death was due to LSD use.
Sunday October 5, 1969
- Monty Python’s Flying Circus on this date first aired on BBC One-the surreal sketch comedy would last 4 seasons and 45 episodes.
- In game 2 of the baseball playoffs- the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Minnesota Twins 1-0 in 11 innings and the New York Mets beat the Atlanta Braves 11-6- both the Orioles and Mets are now one win away from meeting in the World Series.