- TASTE: TASTE: 1969: 3 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Released 50 years ago today- known mainly as Rory Gallagher’s band before his solo career.Taste was an Irish-blues rock band- Taste released two albums- this was the debut. A mixture of songs written by Gallagher and covers- my favorites- Blister On The Moon , Leavin’ Blues, Sugar Mama and I’m Moving On.
- YES: FRAGILE: 1971: 2 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: I featured Roundabout- yesterday in the Songs I Like by Bands I Don’t- I havent listened to Yes “Fragile” since I was in high school and a friend who sang their praises loaded me his copy. I like Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround – the rest I don’t. They are fine musicians- and for the most part prog rock features a lot of fine musicians but I don’t care for it. Just not my cup of tea. On the list of 1001 Albums to hear.
- VAN MORRISON: POETIC CHAMPIONS COMPOSE: 1987: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Van’s 17th solo album. In the mid to late 80’s he was making consistent albums- but I don’t know if one stands out about the other. All good- I wouldn’t quite go 5 stars on any of them though. As Larry Kirwan the host of Celtic Crush says-“Every Van album has a gem or two on them.” On this one- Did Ye Get Healed, Someone Like You, Queen Of The Slipstream and Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child are those gems.
- LED ZEPPELIN: CODA: 1982: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A rarities compilation issued after the band had disbanded. There were 8 tracks on the original release you will want the 1993/ 2008 issue with 12 songs and the best of the bunch that is added- the b-side Hey Hey, What Can I Do- one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs ever.
- MITSKI: BE THE COWBOY: 2018: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: My favorite new artist in a while- this is her latest album- released last August- and of her 5 albums I think its her best. They are all good but with each release she just seemed to get better. She was in concert last week within an hour of me but by the time I heard of the concert it was already sold out. The album made about every ‘best of’ list in 2018. Favorite songs- all of them.
- DIRE STRAITS: MAKING MOVIES:1980: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Dire Straits would only release six albums- but the first three came within three years. Romeo And Juliet is by far my favorite Dire Straits song- one of my favorite songs ever. Other gems on this album-Tunnel Of Love, Skateaway and Expresso Love.
- THE CLASH: SUPER BLACK MARKET CLASH: 1993: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A compilation of b-sides and rarities that weren’t on any of the bands albums. The original Black Market Clash issued in 1980 had only 9 tracks on it- this one has 21 so it is the one to have. In the late 70’s -early 80’s The Clash indeed were “The Only Band That Matters.”