It was fifty years ago today- Sunday December 22, 1968- Apollo 8 astronaut Frank Borman became will the day after he took a dose of Seconal. The other two astronauts on board helped him clean up the mess in a weightless environment. Borman’s sickness in space is the first experience of space-sickness by an American astronaut. In fear that if NASA found out that the mission would be aborted the astronauts decided not to report Borman’s illness until the spacecraft had passed the point were it would have to slingshot around the Moon to be able to return.
Ooh. Not sure that was the best decision to make. It reminds me of climbing Mr. Whitney here in California with some friends of ours. One of them got a terrible headache on the way up and just started swallowing pain pills because he “didn’t want to miss out on summiting.”
It was just pure luck that he, AND the astronauts, I think, came out okay with no tragedies ensuing.
You would have thought they would have used better judgment- going into space- who knew what kind of reactions things would have on you…..and I don’t think climbing a mountain a person should be doing that either- dangerous stuff.
Yeah! Not even comparing outer space to Mr. Whitney, and we were just hiking, not even climbing. It’s almost 10,000 feet, though, so when you get a headache, that means something’s wrong–turn back. Do not swallow Ibuprofen and keep going! A hundred-fold for going into space. Who KNOWS what would have happened, like you said?! It’s such uncharted territory and experience. Very odd decision to make!!