- DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS: THE DIRTY SOUTH: 2004: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A concept album of songs examining the history, mythology and tragedy of the south. They are from the south but don’t confuse them as southern rock or country- they are a rock and roll outfit. My favorite song here is Carl Perkins Cadillac but other favorites The Buford Stick, The Day John Henry Died, Tornadoes, The Sands Of Iwo Jima,Daddy’s Cup. Jason Isbell who has gone on to a significant solo career was still a member of the group at this time.
- THE BEATLES: SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND: 1967: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The re-mastered edition that came out last year- sure do hear a lot of things in this that I have never heard before.
- RY COODER: CHAVEZ RAVINE: 2005: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A concept album about the Mexican- American community of Chavez Ravine in Los Angeles. In the 1950’s it was destroyed to make room for public housing -which never happened- in the end the land was used to build Dodger Stadium for the newly arrived Brooklyn Dodgers who moved to LA in the late 50’s. Interesting album musically.
- JONI MITCHELL: BLUE: 1971: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: My two favorite Joni Mitchell albums are Blue and Court and Spark- not that the other ones aren’t worth having but her more pop oriented material I like the best. All I Want, My Old Man, Carey, The Last Time I Saw Richard, California, and A Case Of You my favorites here. Maybe the best album of the singer-songwriter era. Certainly the best artist of that genre.
- THE FACES: FIVE GUYS WALK INTO A BAR: 2004: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Disc 1:One of the best box sets ever released and I was a big box set fan. Takes cuts from their four albums plus very generous number of unreleased material, b-sides, rehearsal takes, live material. To name a handful of favorites from the disc 1- Flying, Debris, a cover of John Lennon’s Jealous Guy, a live version of Maggie May, Cindy Incidentally, a cover of Paul McCartney’s Maybe I’m Amazed. Even if you have the four studio albums they released this is a must own box set if you are a fan.
- THE FACES: FIVE GUYS WALK INTO A BAR: 2004: DISC 2: One thing this box set reminds you is how great a rock and roll singer Rod Stewart was before he went Hollywood. The great songs just continue on disc 2: Pool Hall Richard, You’re My Girl, Glad and Sorry, Richmond, Miss Judy’s Farm, That’s All You Need etc…