- FLEETWOOD MAC: PETER GREEN”S FLEETWOOD MAC:4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: This was the debut album of the blues band Fleetwood Mac- which in sound has nothing at all similar to the Fleetwood Mac from the past 40 plus years. This album was a big hit in the United Kingdom but has only sold 150,000 copies in the United States. The band was centered around Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer who wrote half the songs on this album- two current members were there at the start- Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. Favorite songs- Heart Beat Like A Hammer, Merry Go Round, Long Grey Mare, My Baby’s Good To Me , I Loved Another Woman, The World Keeps On Turning- all originals.
- ROCKPILE: SECONDS OF PLEASURE: 1980: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: When I saw this album out I bought it without having heard a track or anything about it- Nick Lowe- and Dave Edmunds- well it has to be a good one- and it didn’t disappoint. Sadly, it is Rockpile’s only album. It is a fun album- and inside the album was a EP with their doing four Everly Brothers tunes. Recently I listened to the Billie Joe- Norah Jones Foreverly album of Everly covers. well Nick and Dave blow them away with their covers. After hearing them do their covers I went out and bought the Everly’s greatest hits. Oh the regular Rockpile record is a fun record- favorite songs- Heart -which is much better here than the slower version on Nick’s solo album- Teacher Teacher, Now and Always, Oh What A Thrill, When I Write A Book.
- DAVID BOWIE: BLACKSTAR: 2016: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Bowie’s farewell address- it was released on a Friday he was gone on Monday. It took a number of listens but with each one it sank in more- is there a better last album before the artists death?
- PECKER DUNNE: THE VERY BEST OF PECKER DUNNE: 2015: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: I was introduced to Pecker Dunne by listening to Celtic Crush and hearing host Larry Kirwan’s stories about him. From Wexford, Ireland he was a real character- a musician who travelled the country and could play about any instrument. Favorite Pecker Dunne songs-Last Of The Travelling People, Wexford, Tinker’s Lullaby, McAlpines Fusiliers.
- BLACK 47: LAST CALL: 2014: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The final album of Larry Kirwan the host of Celtic Crush’s- band Black 47. A fine farewell if it is indeed their last album. I was able to see them on their farewell tour and they were excellent live. Favorites on this- Salsa O’Keefe, Culchie Prince, Dublin Days, Johnny Comes a Courtin’, The Night The Showbands Died, Shanty Irish Baby, The Ballad of Brendan Behan and Saint Patrick’s Day.
- THE BEATLES: PLEASE PLEASE ME: 1963: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A couple weeks back I listened to The Beatles catalog- but that was two weeks ago…