Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in a 12 month period.
TODAY- listened to 6 different albums. Total for 129 days- 785 different albums. On pace for 2221.
- LEONARD COHEN: VARIOUS POSITIONS: 1984: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Cohen’s most famous song- Hallelujah is on this one. Dance Me To The End of Love another long standing favorite on this one. The album has a country and western flavor to it. A very strong album but not his best album by any means.
- PAUL SIMON: 1964-1993: 1993: DISC 1: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: One of a few Paul Simon box sets released over the past 20 plus years. The first disc covers mostly Simon and Garfunkel material then into his solo career. I listened to the first 2 of the 3 disc box- the 3rd disc seemed to have disappeared from my IPod. One of the great songwriters of his time without a doubt.
- PAUL SIMON: 1964-1993: DISC 2:
- JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE: SINGLE MOTHERS: 2014: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Earle is making quite a career for himself. As I have mentioned in a review of another album- much could be expected of the son of Steve Earle and carrying around Townes Van Zandt’s name as your middle name. He has delivered. This is a short album-clocking in around a half hour. Best tunes:White Gardenias, Burning Pictures, Time Shows Fools.
- JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE: ABSENT FATHERS: 2015: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Earle completed 20 songs for the previous album- releasing half on Single Mothers and the other half a year later on this one. Both albums are somewhat downbeat in mood. Fine songwriting. A few more uptempo songs would be nice though. Another brief album clocking in at just over half an hour.
- JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE: KIDS IN THE STREET: 2017: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: I’d put this up with Harlem River Blues as his finest album so far. His last 5 albums have made the Top 6 on the folk album charts. This one has more uptempo songs than the previous couple albums. The lead off track Champagne Corolla is the song that is stuck in my head after hearing it just once. 12 songs and 42 minutes an improvement over the last two which were around a half hour.