Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in a 12 month period.
Today-listened to 9 different albums. Total for 111 days- 718. On pace for 2361 different albums.
- RADIOHEAD: KID A: 2000: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: After OK Computer- their career best album Radiohead changed their sound they replaced their rock sound with synthesizers, drum machines etc. It worked. I like a band that just doesn’t repeat a successful formula over and over. It went to #1 in both the UK and US.
- NICK DRAKE:FIVE LEAVES LEFT: 1969: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: An artist who was basically ignored until a couple decades after his early passing at age 26. Acoustic based, beautiful music. Favorites on this one- Time Has Told Me, River Man, Way To Blue, Man In A Shed. Nick Drake’s music unique- like Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks.
- NICK DRAKE: BRYTER LAYTER: 1971: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Another brilliant album by a man who only would release three in his lifetime. Richard Thompson and John Cale played on this album.
- NICK DRAKE:PINK MOON: 1972: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Only Nick Drake played on this album- vocal, guitar and piano. Like his other albums it didn’t sell well at the time. Years later his greatness would be recognized.
- NICK DRAKE: TIME HAS TOLD ME: 1987: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Outtakes and alternate versions included in the box set that contained his 3 albums released during his life “Fruit Tree” which brought Drake to prominence years after his death. What a great loss to music.
- STEVIE WONDER: AT THE CLOSE OF THE CENTURY: 1999: DISC 1: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 4 STARS: An excellent career spanner on Stevie Wonder. The first disc covers the 1960’s- he started young- he had his first #1 at age 13. The songs on this first disc -very good Motown pop music- then in the early 1970’s Stevie blew up- and ruled a good portion of the decade with great albums and singles. Disc 2 starts with “Superstition” and doesn’t let up. Disc 3 is still strong- late 70’s early 80s material then Disc 4 it starts to flatten out- Wonder has only put out a couple albums in the past 25 years. I guess he’d done enough. Great -game changing artist in his prime- and he was only in his early 20’s when he was making that great music. 70 songs on the 4 discs.
- STEVIE WONDER: AT THE CLOSE OF THE CENTURY: 1999: DISC 2: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS:
- STEVIE WONDER: AT THE CLOSE OF THE CENTURY: 1999: DISC 3: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS:
- STEVIE WONDER: AT THE CLOSE OF THE CENTURY: 1999: DISC 4: 3 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: