Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in a 12 month period.
TODAY- listened to 6 different albums. 102 days 663 different albums. On pace for 2373.
- RON SEXSMITH: WHEREABOUTS: 1999: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Sexsmith’s admirers include- Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Ray Davies, Sheryl Crow, Elton John and a fellow called Paul McCartney… this is his 3rd album of finely crafted songs. Ron’s songs for the most part are pretty pessimistic. One of the songs on this one is called “Doomed” He’s never made an album that isn’t worth owning in my opinion.
- SIMPLE MINDS: THE BEST OF SIMPLE MINDS: DISC 1: 2001: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: In the US Simple Minds is remembered for their handful of mid-80’s hits including the #1 Don’t You Forget About Me- but in the UK they have been much more successful before and after that song from The Breakfast Club. If you only know Simple Minds from the US hits- get this double cd best of-32 songs in total and they don’t disappoint. It gives you another view of a pretty good group.
- SIMPLE MINDS: THE BEST OF SIMPLE MINDS: DISC 2: 2001: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS:
- TEENAGE FANCLUB: FOUR THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED AND SIXTY SIX SECONDS:A SHORT CUT TO TEENAGE FANCLUB: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: 2003: A best of- as of 2003- this is packed with songs- the title refers to the amount of music on the cd it is 34 seconds short of the capacity of a cd. 21 songs. A great introduction but after you hear this you will want to dig deeper. They are good for an album every 4 or 5 years. They should have been more successful than they have been at having hits and selling albums. This group has three songwriters and all three are also singers. A band that the late Kurt Cobain had called ‘the best band in the world.’
- ROCKPILE: SECONDS OF PLEASURE: 1980: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Love this album- Nick Lowe- Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams- one album and that was it. A mixture of originals and covers. There was a 4 song EP inside the original album and on now at the end of the cd of 4 Everly Brothers covers that were terrific- “Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds Sing The Everly Brothers.”. Favorite song on the album ‘Heart.” which is better here sung by Bremner than when Lowe did it.
- MATTHEW SWEET AND SUSANNA HOFFS: UNDER THE COVERS VOLUME 2: 2009: 3 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: In the second Under The Covers- Sweet and Hoffs cover songs from the 1970’s- these albums must have been fun to make. Well done and enjoyable to listen to but these type albums aren’t going to be in your heavy rotation.