Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in a 12 month period.
TODAY- listened to 6 different albums. 86 day total- 553 different albums. On pace for 2347 different albums.
- VAN MORRISON: KEEP IT SIMPLE: 2008: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Van covers about every genre of music that he’s ever done in on this album. The album is as the title sounds- the music is stripped down and kept simple. The album sounds like a lot of Van’s albums from the 2000’s but nothing wrong with that.
- THE POLICE: OUTLANDOS D’AMOUR: 1978: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The debut album by The Police. Contains the singles “Roxanne” and “Can’t Stand Losing You” which were hits in the UK but “Roxanne” only reached #32 in the US. Thought it was a bigger hit than that. “So Lonely” was also a hit in the UK- those are the three best tracks on the album. “Next To You” and “Hole In My Life” also stand out. The greatest asset this band had in my opinion was drummer Stewart Copeland.
- FRANK SINATRA: MY WAY: 1969: 3 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: One of Frank’s signature songs- My Way- he hated. On this album he goes contemporary songs like The Beatles “Yesterday” Simon and Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” with mixed results.
- FRANK SINATRA: CYCLES:1968: 2 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Frank’s “By The Time I Get To Phoenix” will never make anyone forget Isaac Hayes version that is for sure. Frank is trying to be modern here.- “Little Green Apples”, “Gentle On My Mind”, ” From Both Sides Now” Frank you are trying to hard to be cool and hip.. you already were.
- THE SMITHS: THE SMITHS: 1984: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The Smiths debut and they hit the ground running. Great debut featuring “Reel Around The Fountain”, “Hand In Glove”, “What Difference Does It Make”, “You’ve Got Everything Now” I can remember playing this album over and over again during the summer of 1984.
- THE SMITHS: MEAT IS MURDER: 1985: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The best song on the album “How Soon Is Now” was added to the American edition of the album. The songs overall not as good as the debut but still a strong album. The Smiths would release four studio albums in four years- 1985-87 and then be gone.