Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in a 12 month period of time.
TODAY listened to 7 different albums. Total for 82 days- 527 albums. On pace for 2346 different albums.
- SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE: THE ESSENTIAL SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE: DISC 1: 2002: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: What a revolutionary band for their time- men and women, members of different races. Their time was short but they had a huge impact on funk, rock, soul and psychedelic music. In listening to these two discs/ 35 songs you think they had more Top 40 hits than they did- in reality they had 10 Top 40 hits but so many of these songs sound like hits and sound so familiar. They were very productive until drug problems and personality issues destroyed them. Their music was also effected by the drugs. Their songs went from uplifting to dark towards the end although one of those dark albums “There’s A Riot Goin’ On” may have been their best.
- SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE: THE ESSENTIAL SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE: DISC 2: 2002: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS:
- THE KINKS: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION: 2002: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Sir Ray Davies turns 73 today. This two disc best of has 44 great Kinks songs. They were certainly big but they should have been even bigger than they were. What a great songwriter Ray Davies is. “Watreloo Sunset” one of my favorite songs ever. Even a two disc best of only scratches the surface. A good starting point but if you like them you need to dig deeper.
- THE KINKS: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION: 2002: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS:
- JACKSON BROWNE: THE VERY BEST OF JACKSON BROWNE: 2004: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: It must be compilation Wednesday.. one thing I like about this 2 disc set is it follows his career in the order it happened. Disc 1 is 1972 to 1979 his prime- and disc 2 picks up from there until 2004. Unless you are a Jackson Browne fanatic this will fit your needs. -1/2 point due to his friendship with The Eagles! Not a fan of his politics either but when it comes down to it -I don’t care one way or another I’ve never held anyone’s politics against them. “Running On Empty” my favorite Jackson Browne tune. He wrote a lot of good ones in the 1970’s.
- JACKSON BROWNE: THE VERY BEST OF JACKSON BROWNE: 3 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. Disc 2 is weaker as the career stalls out somewhat.
- VAN MORRISON: PAY THE DEVIL: 2006: 3 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Van makes a country-western album- 15 songs- 12 covers and 3 originals.