LISTENED TO TODAY: 7 ALBUMS LISTENED TO TOTAL 4 DAYS: 27 ALBUMS
TUESDAY APRIL 4, 2017
- PAUL SIMON: PAUL SIMON: 1972 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. After the Simon and Garfunkel break-up Paul Simon burst out of the gates- this was his debut album. He would release three solo albums in four years. Since then he hasn’t released more than 2 in any decade. I’ve always preferred Paul solo than Simon and Garfunkel.
- VAN MORRISON: ASTRAL WEEKS 1968 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. The Beatles:Revolver I believe is the best album ever made but if I were on a deserted island and could only listen to one- I’d pick Van Morrison”Astral Weeks.” I’ve been listening to this hundreds of times over the past forty years and it always sounds fresh to my ears and I always hear new things with each listen. There is no album like it.
- DAVID BOWIE: BLACKSTAR: 2016 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. Like John and Yoko’s “Double Fantasy” hard to listen to this and separate it from the fact Bowie died just a couple days after this was released. My 4 star rating may be changed in the future. Need more listens. I do like it.
- THE BEATLES: PLEASE PLEASE ME: 1963. 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. The Beatles first album, recorded in one day. A mixture of covers and originals.
- LORDE: PURE HEROINE: 2013. 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. Lorde was only 17 when this album was released? Good Lorde. Best songs: “Royals”, “Team” and “Tennis Court” but I like the whole album.The album was a big hit-one of the rare cases where quality sold well! Not the typical garbage that rises up the charts. Looking forward to her second album which is coming out in June. Hope she beats the sophomore jinx.
- TEENAGE FANCLUB: SONGS FROM NORTHERN BRITAIN: 1997. 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. I discovered this band and this album from Nick Hornby writing about them in his book “31 Songs” Went out and got the CD- and it was in heavy rotation for months. I went back and got their catalog and I like the band a lot but none of their other albums match this one in my opinion. Should have sold like hotcakes.
- BEAUTIFUL DREAMER:THE SONGS OF STEPHEN FOSTER: VARIOUS ARTISTS: 2004. 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS. I am trying to remember where I came across this, can’t recall. Stephen Foster the first great American songwriter. His songs live on today. You’ve heard most of them at sometime or another. Here various artists cover 17 of his songs. Outstanding.