1971 Pittsburgh Pirates- Game 25: Tuesday May 4, 1971. Night Game: Steve Blass 3-0 pitching for the Pirates against Steve Stone 2-0 for the Giants. The game is at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
- Looking at the final score- 10-2 Pirates it looks like a blow out- but the score was 3-2 going into the top of the 8th inning when Pirate bats exploded- with a 7 run inning- led by Willie Stargell’s three run home run.
- The Pirates came into tonight’s game -their first game on a 7 game west coast road trip- having won 3 in a row against the lowly Padres. This two game series was against the Giants who had the best record in the major leagues at this point- 19-6. The Pirates were also going up against rookie Steve Stone who had shut them out back on April 23rd for his first major league victory.
- Stone would go 6.1 innings giving up 3 runs and 8 hits- and would be tagged for the loss- he left the game with the Giants down 3-2. For the Pirates Steve Blass who is off to a fast start this year- went 5.1 innings and gave up 2 earned runs and 5 hits. Bob Moose came in and got the remaining two outs in the 6th inning and picked up the victory -Moose is now 2-1 on the season. Mudcat Grant pitched two scoreless innings and got his 2nd save of the season- giving closer Dave Giusti a well deserved day off.
- Willie Mays was not in the line-up tonight for the Giants
- Pirates had their share of hitting stars tonight- Richie Hebner who has had a hot bat of late went 2-4 with 2 RBI’s. The Great One Roberto Clemente was 2-5 with 2 RBI’s and Manny Sanguillen went 4-5 with 2 doubles.
- Attendance- 8,263 – the first place Giants were also having problems getting fans in the seats. Time of Game-2:53.
- The Pirates are now 15-10 1 game behind the first place Mets. The Giants fall to 19-7. Next game- tomorrow afternoon at Candlestick and then the Pirates move down the coast for a four game series against the Dodgers in LA.