Billboard #1 Hits: #544: ‘Karma Chameleon’- Culture Club. February 4, 1984. #1 for 3 weeks in Billboard Hot 100.
- Single: ‘Karma Chameleon’- Culture Club
- Record Company-Virgin
- Genre: Pop
- Written by Michael Craig/Roy Hay/George O’Dowd/ Phil Pickett
- Time: 3:59
- B-side:”That’s The Way [I’m Only Trying To Help You]
- Album – Colour By Numbers
- Grade: A
- Peaked at #1 3 weeks in Billboard Hot 100. #1 in UK Singles Chart #1 in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway , South Africa, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Culture Club a pop band formed in London- fronted by Boy George ride at the top was very short. Two hit albums basically and ten hit singles- the first six of them making the Top 10. ‘Karma Chameleon’ was their only #1 [their first two singles ‘ Do You Really Want To Hurt Me” and ‘Time [Clock Of The Heart] peaked at #2. Boy George would say “The song is about the terrible fear of alienation that people have, the fear of standing up for one thing. It’s about trying to suck up to everybody. Basically, if you aren’t true, if you don’t act like you feel, then you get Karma-justice, that’s nature’s way of paying you back.” He would also say that other members of the band were at first hesitant to record the song because they thought it sounded too country and western. A friend of mine when first hearing the song thought they were singing ‘Be a be a be a comedian.”