1971 Pirates- Game 14- Braves vs Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium. Wednesday April 21, 1971, 8:05 pm. Starting pitchers Pirates Dock Ellis 1-2 vs Braves Jim Nash 1-0.
- Willie Stargell continues his historical April of 1971- hitting three home runs tonight in leading the Pirates to a 10-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves. The Pirates whose offense had been slumping in the past week- having been shut out twice [to future Hall of Fame pitchers Tom Seaver and Phil Niekro] had scored only 6 runs in a 5 game period-broke out with 14 hits tonight. Stargell went 3-4 5 RBI’s- the three home runs runs his total to 9 on the young season. Bob Robertson went 2-4 with a home run.
- Dock Ellis the Pirates starting pitcher went the distance giving up 2 runs , 1 earned run, 5 hits and 3 strike outs. He didn’t walk anyone. His record improves to 2-2 on the season. Braves starter Jim Nash only lasted four innings and gave up 2 of Stargell’s home runs- and 4 runs before being taken out.
- The Pirates improve their record to 8-6 on the season and remain 1/2 game out of first place in the NL East.
- Attendance 7,992, Time of game- 2 hours 6 minutes.
- The three game series between the Pirates and Braves will conclude Thursday night.