Billboard #1 Hits: #455: “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers”- Barbra Streisand & Neil Diamond. December 2, 1978. #1 for 1 week in Billboard Hot 100.
- Single: “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers”- Barbra Streisand & Neil Diamond
- Record Company- Columbia
- Genre: Easy Listening
- Written by Neil Diamond, Alan Bergman, and Marilyn Bergman
- Time: 3:25
- B-side: “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers”-[Instrumental}
- Album- You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
- Grade: D
- Peaked at #1 1 week in Billboard Hot 100. #5 in UK Singles Chart, #1 in Canada.
Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand recorded these songs separately on albums- a program director for a radio station in Louisville spliced the two versions together as a going away present to his wife. A spliced together version was going to be released as a single but then Streisand and Diamond got together and recorded a new version of the song- the result the 3rd #1 hit for both singers. Of course the program director whose idea it was in the first place felt slighted and sued- they reached an out of court settlement for his role in the #1 hit and gave the guy a gold record. Note- both Streisand and Diamond attended the same high school- Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn- Diamond would say”We were two poor kids in Brooklyn. We hung out in the front of Erasmus High and smoked cigarettes.”