Hans Remembers- Tuesday September 15, 1970- 50 Years Ago.
- Vice President Spiro “Ted” Agnew in a speech stated that the youth of America was being brainwashed into drug culture by rock music, movies, books and underground newspapers.
- Don Knotts who starred in the 60’s as Barney Fife -[the greatest character in sitcom history in my opinion} returned to television as host of a variety show- The Don Knotts Show. The show lasted one season-24 episodes. I have no memory of it.
- A nationwide railroad strike by United Transportation Union was blocked by judge’s decision to issue a week-long restraining order. The order went into effect only 30 minutes after the first picket lines were formed at the Chesapeake & Ohio railroad in Huntington, West Virginia.
- In other strike news- The United Auto Workers of America’s 344,000 members went on strike against General Motors. UAW members at Ford and Chrysler continued to work pending negotiation of a UAW contract with GM> The UAW ratified the new three year contract on November 20th after striking for 67 days.
- King Hussein of Jordan formed a military government with General Mohammad Daoud Al-Abbasi as his prime minister.