Hans Remembers- Sunday September 13, 1970- 50 Years Ago.
- This was the birth date- 9/13/70 of the protagonist in the Jason Bourne film series played by Matt Damon. The book series began in 1980- The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum.
- The first New York City Marathon was run today. The first NYC Marathon was won by an FDNY fireman named Gary Muhrcke. The first race attracted a total of 126 runners- in recent years it has 30,000.
- Operation Tailwind- a covert incursion into Laos was started by U.S. forces.
- At the U.S. Open men’s final- Aussie Ken Rosewall won his second U.S. Open defeating fellow Aussie- Tony Roche 2-6, 6-4, 7-6, 6-3.
- I was listening to this game on the radio- At Wrigley Field in Chicago the Pittsburgh Pirates led the Chicago Cubs 2-1 with 2 outs and no one on base- Willie Smith hit a routine fly ball to center fielder Matty Alou. Alou drops it and the Cubs rally to win 3-2. The first place Pirates lead over the Cubs was now just one game. I remember Pirates play by play man Bob Prince when the ball was hit- he would call a routine easy fly ball a “can of corn”- he called this fly ball to Alou a ‘can of corn” -and would later [ after the Pirates won the division} joke about that day when he called that easy fly ball to Alou ‘a can of corn”- but at the time it sure wasn’t funny to any Pirates fan. Alou was traded that off-season and wasn’t a part of the 1971 Pirates World Championship team.