Hans Remembers- Sunday August 9, 1970- 50 Years Ago.
- Pirates slugger Willie Stargell in the 8th inning of a game at Three Rivers Stadium hit the first home run at the new ballpark that went into the upper deck in right field. Of the first seven to accomplish this- Stargell did it four times. I saw Greg “The Bull” Luzinski of the Phillies accomplish this in the late 70’s. Stargell was known for his titanic blasts at ballparks all over the National League.
- Another plane crash- this one killed all but one aboard LANSA Flight 502 when the Peruvian L-188A Electra plane crashed shortly after take off from Cuzco on a return trip to Lima. Two farmers were also killed on the ground when the plane came down on them.
- Former Major League pitcher Pat Mahomes was born 50 years ago today in Bryan, Texas. Mahomes pitched with six major league teams from 1992-2003 but his biggest claim to fame is- he is the father of KC Chiefs superstar QB Patrick Mahomes.
- Longtime NHL player Rod Brind’Amour was born 50 years ago- in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada- he played in the NHL from 1988- 2010 for St. Louis, Philadelphia and Carolina and scored 452 goals in his career.
- Qaboos bin Said who had deposed his father Said bin Taimur two weeks earlier- from the throne of Muscat and Oman informed his subjects that from now on the nation would be known as Oman and that his uncle Tariq bin Taimur would be the nation’s new prime minister.