Billboard #1 Hits #174: ‘ You Can’t Hurry Love”- The Supremes. November 19, 1966. #1 for 2 weeks.
- Single: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On “- The Supremes
- Record Company- Motown
- Genre: Soul
- Written by Holland-Dozier-Holland
- Time: 2:47
- B-side: “Remove This Doubt”
- Album- The Supremes Sing Holland Dozier Holland
- Grade: A
- Peaked at #1 3 weeks in Billboard Hot 100. #3 in UK Singles Chart. #8 on UK Singles Chart.
The Supremes were slacking in 1966- only 2 #1’s. “You Keep Me Hangin’ On’ was their 8th career #1. Another Holland-Dozier- Holland song- with The Funk Brothers as always in the back ground. The single element I always think of on this song is the guitar part which originated from a Morse code like radio sound effect. I have come to notice something in doing this feature. I have noted before that I was kind of lukewarm on The Supremes. Yet I have also noticed all 8 #1’s I’ve featured I really like. I think the problem is- if I hear their singles distanced apart- I like them a lot better than if I sit down and listen to a Supreme Greatest Hit type album- where the songs tend to blend together. Maybe I like The Supremes more than I realized.