Hans Remembers- Saturday January 17, 1970-
- In what was to be the final game ever in the history of the American Football League- before they merged with the National Football League- the West Division All-Stars beat the East Division All-Stars 26-3 in the AFL All-Star Game that has held in Houston. San Diego Chargers Quarterback John Hadl was named the Most Valuable Player of the game.
- Hockey’s Jeremy Roenick who played eighteen seasons in the NHL was born on this day in Boston. Roenick played with six different NHL teams in his career which lasted from 1988-2009. In his career he scored 513 goals and had 703 assists.
- Billy Stewart and R&B singer and composer whose biggest hit was “Summertime” #10 hit in 1966- died at the age of 32 as a result of a car accident.
- Baseball immortal Willie Mays of the San Francisco Giants was named by The Sporting News -the Player of the Decade of the 1960’s- finishing ahead of Henry Aaron and Roberto Clemente.
- American Mobster- Joe Civello died at the age of 67. Civello was the leader of the Dallas crime family from 1956 until his death of natural causes at the age of 67.