Hans Remembers- News Headlines- from Tuesday August 19- Wednesday August 20, 1969.
Tuesday August 19, 1969-
- Hurricane Camille not only caused great destruction along the gulf coast of the United States but the biggest loss of life due to the hurricane would be in Virginia-where 124 people were killed in Nelson County, Virginia after more than 30 inches of rain fell in a few hours causing flash flooding and mudslides. The hurricane winds slowed down over Nelson County and the storm system slowed down also drenching the area. The James River and its tributaries overflowed- one of the worst disasters to ever strike Virginia.
- Matthew Perry who starred as Chandler in Friends- born on this day in Willamstown, Massachusetts. Never watched a single episode of that show.
- Nate Dogg- born Nathaniel Dwayne Hale in Clarksdale, Mississippi- Delta Blues country- became a famous American rap artist. Died in 2011 at the age of 41 from complications after multiple strokes.
- On The Dick Cavett Show- Joni Mitchell, and David Crosby and Stephen Stills from Crosby, Stills and Nash were the guests. Mitchell missed out on Woodstock when following her agents advise turned down a shot at playing at Woodstock so she would be sure to be in NYC to be on Cavett. Bad decision.
- Chicago Cubs pitcher Ken Holtzman pitched a no-hitter against the Atlanta Braves the first place Cubs 3-0 victory.
Wednesday August 20, 1969
- V.V. Giri was elected the new President of India- in what one reporter called the most important presidential election in the history of India. Does that sound familiar- pretty soon we will be hearing that 2020 will be the most important election in United States history. They say the same thing every four years.