Hans Remembers- The weekend of Saturday April 5- Sunday April 6, 1969- 50 years ago was an eventful one-
- This weekend anti-war demonstrations and parades were held in New York City, San Francisco , Los Angeles, Boston and Washington, D.C. and many other cities. At the start of 1969 500,000 American troops were in Vietnam. On the first weekend of April there were many protests especially around the college campuses.
- On the Pennsylvania Turnpike- a sniper Donald Lambright [the son of comedican Stepin Fetchit} killed two people at random and wounded 15 more after he pulled over on the shoulder of the westbound lanes and fired at passing cars with an army carbine and a .30 caliber rifle. In the end Lambright killed his wife and then himself.
- The Kinks original bassist Pete Quaife quit the band on April 6. He would form his own band- Mapleoak- which he left a year later leaving the music business. He would live in Denmark in the 1970’s before moving to Canada in 1980 where he worked as a cartoonist and an artist. Pete Quaife died of kidney failure in 2010 at the age of 66.
- Born April 6, 1969- actor Paul Rudd- was born in Passaic, New Jersey. Rudd has started in such films as This is 40, Ant -Man, Ant Man and The Wasp, Captain America-Civil War- and many others. His first film was Clueless in 1995.
- Bret Boone a former All- Star Major League baseball player turns 50 today. In 1992 Bret became the first third generation major league player. His grandfather Ray played for a number of teams from 1948-60, his father Bob was the catcher mainly for the Philadelphia Phillies in the 1970s- and was a major league manager. Then Bret came along and played from 1992-2005- making three All-Star teams and won 4 Gold Glove Awards as a second baseman. His brother Aaron- who also played in the majors for years is currently the manager of the New York Yankees.
- Former NBA player Bison Dele- born Brian Williams was born on April 6, 1969. He played in the NBA from 1991-99 having been a first round pick by the Orlando Magic in 1991. He retired suddenly in 1990 at the age of 30. The highlight of his career may have been that he reportedly dated Madonna. Even stranger and more tragic- in 2002 Dele, his girlfriend, the skipper and Dele’s brother were on a voyage in the South Pacific. It is believed that the brother killed everyone and threw them overboard. The brother a year later intentionally overdosed on insulin- went into a coma and died. The brothers reportedly had been at odds over the years. Dele has never been seen since and is presumed dead.
- Alberto Bonucci- an Italian film director and actor died on April 5, 1969 at the age of 50 in Rome of cancer. He was known for The Taming of the Shrew, The Four Musketeers and Sex Can Be Difficult.