Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in 12 months.
TODAY listened to 5 different albums. 142 days- 823 different albums On pace for 2115.
- LUCINDA WILLIAMS: LUCINDA WILLIAMS: 1988; 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: One of the landmark albums of Americana music. Lucinda’s third album- she wrote all the songs except the closing song by the great Howlin’ Wolf. Highlights? The entire album.
- NEW ORDER: SUBSTANCE: 1987: DISC 1: All their singles up to that point released on a double album. Some great stuff- Blue Monday, The Perfect Kiss, Temptation, Shellshock, Bizarre Love Triangle- among the many many highlights.
- NEW ORDER: SUBSTANCE: 1987: DISC 2:
- THE CIVIL WAR: VARIOUS ARTISTS: 1990: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The soundtrack from the great Ken Burns Civil War series. I have always been into history and had an interest in the Civil War so the series wasn’t my gateway drug into the war but it did kick my interest in another gear and nearly 30 years later it is still going strong. The soundtrack to the series is outstanding. I’d give it 5 stars on “Askokan Farewell and the Sullivan Ballou letter alone.
- BILLY JOEL: THE STRANGER: 1977: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Next month will be the 40th anniversary of the release of this album. What? This was my first Joel album and it was also the album that really made Joel a big star. Up until this point he had 2 Top 40 hits- and it is hard to believe that his signature song “The Piano Man” only reached #25 when it was released. This album would have four Top 40 hits- Just The Way You Are, Movin’ Out, Only The Good Die Young and She’s Always A Woman. Just The Way You Are won Grammy’s for Record and Song of the Year. The album has gone 10X platinum. One of the best songs on the album I’ve always thought- was too long to be a single- “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant. the title song The Stranger- hit #2 in Japan. Excellent album.