Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in 12 months.
TODAY listened to 5 different albums. 95 days- listened to 609 different albums. on pace for 2340 different albums.
- JOHN CALE: PARIS 1919: 1973: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The Velvet Underground Cale’s best solo album according to most observers. It is orchestral influenced album. The title Paris 1919 refers to the 1919 Paris Peace Conference which took place after the First World War and that outcome which would eventually bring about the Third Reich. Cale has said the record was ‘the nicest way of saying something ugly.”
- NEIL YOUNG: FORK IN THE ROAD: 2009: 3 1/2 STARS: Neil was inspired to write this concept album by his Lincoln Continental that had been retooled to run on alternative energy. Interesting album.
- BOB DYLAN: LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL 1963: 2005: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Six songs from Dylan’s Carnegie Hall concert of October 26, 1963. There were 9 other songs performed by Dylan in that concert- so far the only full concert has been released in Europe only.
- CAROLINA CHOCOLATE DROPS: DONA GOT A RAMBLIN’ MIND: 2006: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Their debut album. If one didn’t know better there are moments when you would think this was music made in the 1920’s. 14 traditional songs-they make these songs sound alive- not like museum pieces.
- CAROLINA CHOCOLATE DROPS: LEAVING EDEN: 2012: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: In listening to this album I couldn’t help but wish I had seen them live. They make music from a century ago sound as fresh as it were today’s sounds.