On this day in 1858 Minnesota became the 32nd state in the Union. I have been to the fine state of Minnesota a few times and always had a good experience. Off the top of my heard this morning the first things that come into my mind when I think of Minnesota.
1- A friend of us all- Mr. Bob Dylan is from Minnesota.
2. The Minnesota Twins and for some reason the first three Minnesota Twins that come to mind are Tony Oliva, Rod Careew and Kirby Puckett. The Twins have had their moments over the years. Never one of those big spending teams. A small market team who has put together a couple championship teams and some competitive ones.
3. The Minnesota Vikings and my first thought was back when they played outdoor and it was like -20 and the players stood on the sidelines without any heating, while the other team was surrounding the heaters. The Vikings always won those type games, at least in my memory. I think Bud Grant didn’t have blood running through his veins but ice water.
4. Iron Ore. The iron ore from Minnesota which helped make the steel in the areas I grew up in. My father worked in those steel mills. Thanks Minnesota. The Steel mills now in my area are all but gone though.
6. The Mall of America.
7. Two of my all-time favourite rock groups- The Replacements and Husker Du.
8. The Land of 10,000 Lakes.
9. Hibbling, Minnesota. I would have to wager that no town the size of Hibbling as produced so many famous people. Bob Dylan, Roger Maris, Kevin McHale, Vincent Bugliosi, Gus Hall[the communist who ran for POTUS forever and ever} Gary Puckett and there were at least ten others from this small town who may not have been world famous but left a mark on the world.
10.The Lakers.. how would basketball history have been different had the Lakers stayed in Minnesota and not gone to Los Angeles? I would probably like NBA history a little better because I don’t think they would have won anywhere as many World Championships as they did. I am a Celtics fan.. so you know how I feel about the Lakers.
Ok 11- They seem to be kind of wacky up there as far as politics go. Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Clean Gene McCarthy, that dangerous old dingbat Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale.