Goal is to listen to 1500 different albums in 12 months.
TODAY- listened to 9 different albums. Total 853 different albums. On pace for 2062. 647 to 1500.
- O’ BROTHER WHERE ART THOU: VARIOUS ARTISTS: 2000: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The soundtrack to the Coen Brothers popular film, the music was as popular as the movie. Has sold eight times platinum since its release. I remember the album for making the great Ralph Stanley well known late in his life. The soundtrack came in at over an hour and was produced by T-Bone Burnett.
- SHOVELS AND ROPE: O’ BE JOYFUL: 2012: 4 1/2 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: I forgot I had this album. A friend of mine championed them to me 5 years ago when this album came out. I listened to it once and to be honest it made little impression on me. Must have been the mood I was in at the time because listening to it again today- this is fantastic. Americana artists- this is the first official album for the duo- but they had made an album 4 years earlier under their own names. Birmingham the lead off track is also the best track but it’s all good.
- RADIOHEAD: PABLO HONEY: 1993: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Radiohead’s debut album. Creep was a minor hit- reaching #34 on the American Billboard Hot 100. A promising debut album. I liked Radiohead as a U2ish rock band.
- QUEEN: THE GAME: 1980: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: The only Queen album to reach #1 on the US album chart and it had two #1 hits- Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. It isn’t my favorite Queen album but it’s pretty good. I remember the first time I heard Crazy Little Thing Called Love- and thinking this isn’t Queen is it?
- LYNYRD SKYNYRD: THE ESSENTIAL LYNYRD SKYNYRD: 1998: DISC 1: 5 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Growing up in the 1970’s a lot of my friends were big fans of southern rock. The only two southern rock bands I cared for were the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I recall going to school the morning after the plane crash and hearing of it from a classmate- and someone else piped up “Wow I saw him last summer”- [did they think Pink Floyd was a person too?} Skynyrd only made 5 albums but what a great band. There have been so many tragic rock and roll deaths in history but I think the Ronnie Van Zant death at age 29- is one of the bigger losses as far as future potential goes. To me the group ended in that plane crash. Better Man is my favorite Skynyd Song. I never get tired of hearing Sweet Home Alabama- but although it is a great song Free Bird is along with Stairway To Heaven the most overplayed song ever.
- LYNYRD SKYNYRD: THE ESSENTIAL LYNYRD SKYNYRD: 1998: DISC 2:
- SONGS OF THE CIVIL WAR: VARIOUS ARTISTS: 1991: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: Not to be confused with the Ken Burns soundtrack to the documentary series. Came out after that series. Civil War era songs by various artists- I prefer the Burns soundtrack but this is fine. Contains the great Ashokan Farewell which was a central song in the Burns series- and songs by Waylon Jennings, John Hartford, Richie Havens, Judy Collins, Kathy Mattea, Kate and Anna McGarrigle etc.
- DIXIE CHICKS: FLY: 1999: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: THE follow up to their breakthough Wide Open Spaces album. The album went to #1 in the US Top 200 album chart and #1 on the country album chart. More of the same stuff that made Wide Open Spaces so popular. Not counting the three obscure albums they made in the early 1990’s- the Dixie Chicks released 4 albums and all 4 went to #1. There were eight country hit singles on this album- 5 made the pop Top 40. Of course their controversial George Dubya comments ended their careers in conservative county music. They haven’t made an album in eleven years now.
- DEVO: ESSENTIALS: 2002: 4 STARS OUT OF 5 STARS: A little Devo can go a long way. This is a decent career overview. The first time I heard them was when a Pittsburgh radio station played their cover of Satisfaction. The station had a thing they did every night [this was back when I listened to the radio} where they matched up versions of a song and had people vote on which version they liked. Devo beat the original by the Stones. That was 40 years ago -Devo out voted The Stones. What?